This is a post about some cool crafting I did this weekend – I covered some wooden letters in yarn – a lot harder than it seems (the “&” I did this weekend, the R and the W you will see were done several weekends ago). I found the idea on Pinterest (of course) and normally I am one of those people who pins everything but never actually does anything that I pin (until now!). This post is going to be a bit of a tutorial, so hold onto your hats as we delve into the world of crafts! (oo! it rhymed)…
Here is what I did (this weekend):
I found the wooden letters at Hobby Lobby (but they also have them at Michael’s or any other type of craft store). I had to order the ampersand online though.
Then, I got my craft supplies! A standard glue gun, glue sticks, and whatever color yarn you want to cover it in! I chose yellow yarn (see below). Now, the hot glue gun is my go-to crafting staple. While I do tend to burn my fingers like I was dancing on coals and those stupid little strings of glue get everywhere, it is much better than any other glue. It dries quickly and holds very well.
To start out, cover all of the ends of the letter. Glue down all of the yarn and make sure that each piece is placed tightly, one next to the other. Also, be sure to pull the yarn taught, too.
That way, it will be much easier later. Honestly, if you do decide to go through with this craft, let me highly recommend going with wooden letters with a lot of straight edges (like a T or a W or a Y or an H) or at least have it in a font that is more boxy. That way, you will be less frustrated, it will go by faster, and look much cleaner.
Then, attack the center portions of the letter. Any spot that won’t be easy to wrap around, cut out short strips and glue them tightly one next to the other so that no wood shows through.
From here, it is a lot of repetition and experimenting based on the yarn you are using, the font of the letter, which letter it is, as well as the thickness of the letter…and your level of patience. Below is another photo of the finished product so you can see what I did. Have fun!
As I said, I also did an “R” and a “W” (R for Rachel, W for Walter) and pictured below are the results. The “W” was by far the easiest.
And finally, here is the end product of the R, W, and &!!